Orthodontist in Central Sacramento, CA
At Alhambra Dental Plaza, we offer patients comprehensive solutions to their orthodontic concerns. With both a licensed periodontist and orthodontist, our office can help you enhance the appearance and function your teeth and gums under one roof. Patients from the Sacramento area and surrounding communities can come to us for exceptional service and high-quality results. Our team is experienced in providing orthodontic care, and we’re confident in our skills and abilities.
CALL US: (916) 455-3247 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
The Importance of Straightening Your Teeth
No matter how old you are, there may be more than one reason to choose braces as an adult. Your teeth’s appearance is only one of the things that can help in determining the need for teeth straightening. During an evaluation, there is more than one factor that can be discovered which may qualify you for orthodontic treatment.
Signs that may indicate you need orthodontic care include:
- Mouth breathing
- Difficulty chewing food
- Difficulty brushing or flossing due to teeth crowding
- Underbite or overbite
- Jaws that make sounds, shift, protrude or are recessed
- Disproportionate jaws compared to the rest of the face
Traditional braces are the cornerstone of orthodontics. They are beneficial for treating moderate to severe misalignment, and can additionally prevent mild cases from progressing further. Alhambra Dental Plaza offers a variety of braces in Sacramento to suit patient’s individual needs:
Traditional brackets are small metal squares affixed to the surface of teeth. Small elastic bands called ligatures attach the metal wiring to the brackets to shift teeth into uniformity.
Porcelain brackets are color-matched to blend in with the rest of the tooth. They are a beneficial option for patients who value discretion, but their orthodontic treatment plan requires the bracket and wire method. White-colored or “frosted” metal wires are available as well.
Self-aligning brackets require no banding to hold the wire in place. Whereas traditional brackets must be individually affixed to the wire using rubber bands, self-aligning brackets simply click open and closed at the touch of an experienced dentist. This option also streamlines tightening appointments.
How to Protect Your Teeth from Decay When Wearing Braces
When wearing braces, following adequate dental hygiene is key to protecting your teeth from damage. Without regular brushing and flossing, food may get trapped in your dental brackets, which raises your risk of developing cavities.
It can be tricky at first to brush teeth with braces. However, you will get used to it as time goes by. You may also use other methods to help make your dental routine easier.
- Use a water flosser for efficient flossing
- Use a brush designed specifically for braces-wearers
- Use a floss threader, a flexible needle made of plastic. Using this needle, you can easily thread the floss between your bracket-covered teeth
How to Protect Braces from Damage?
To protect your braces from damage, we recommend these important tips:
- Avoid eating foods that require a lot of front-teeth biting, such as apples.
- Avoid sticky foods and hard candy that could cause wear to your orthodontic appliance.
- Wear a mouthguard during exercise to keep your smile safe.
How Long Does It Take to Straighten Your Teeth?
Orthodontic treatment is not a one-size-fits-all. Time taken will depend on the severity of your specific case, your age, and the straightening method used. The process may take anywhere from a few months to years. Before starting your treatment, Dr. Do will give you an estimate for the required length of treatment.
Our dentists are preferred providers of Invisalign® system. The clear aligner trays are nearly undetectable when speaking and smiling. Also known as “clear braces”, Invisalign is a beneficial option for patients who want to maximize their privacy during orthodontic treatment.
Invisalign treatment consists of a series of clear plastic trays that shift the teeth into place over time. The aligners are removable, allowing patients to eat, speak, or brush without interference. This orthodontic treatment has shorter estimated treatment times than traditional braces but is intended for patients with mild to moderate malocclusion. Talk with our specialists at Alhambra Dental Plaza to determine if Invisalign is the best method for you.
What Conditions Can Invisalign Treat?
If your dental misalignment isn’t severe, Invisalign can treat the following conditions:
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
Top 5 Reasons to Choose Invisalign
- Invisible - Made of transparent plastic, these braces are invisible. Throughout the straightening process, there will be no noticeable change to your teeth and smile. Only you and your doctor will know you have these aligners on!
- Removable - You can remove your aligners to eat, drink, and brush your teeth freely, and then wear them once again. You will need to have your aligners on 22 hours each day.
- Convenient - These clear aligners are not here to interfere with your lifestyle. If you travel a lot, you don’t need to change that! Let us know and we will give you multiple sets of braces that you can use until you’re available for an appointment.
- Fast - Invisalign takes an average of 12-18 months to get your teeth efficiently straightened.
- Safe - They have no sharp edges, so they won’t scratch or damage your gums and mouth.
Visit Alhambra Dental Plaza for Excellence in Orthodontics
Our office proudly offers a variety of treatment options for patients wanting to enhance their smile. Contact our Sacramento office today if you have more questions or if you would like to schedule an appointment. Dr. Do and his team provide experienced care with a gentle touch. We look forward to hearing from you!
CALL US: (916) 455-3247 REQUEST APPOINTMENT